Below are some of our frequently asked questions with some information that we hope you find useful. If you still have a question that’s not answered below please get in touch with one of the HudLets team by emailing hudlets@hud.ac.uk.

  • HudLets is run by the SU and will give you impartial advice about all the accommodation available in Huddersfield. All the houses and halls listed on our website are subject to a quality assessment and must achieve a minimum standard. We do not charge students any admin fees and all the deposits are protected within a deposit protection scheme. If you have any dispute with a landlord we are here to help resolve it.

  • Nothing, HudLets is a trading name and is owned and run by the Huddersfield Students’ Union.

  • No. That’s what makes HudLets so special – we don’t charge any fees to students – putting more money back into your pocket.

  • No, as with all Students’ Union commercial services, any income generated by HudLets goes straight back into paying for things like our Advice Centre. We’re not for profit, just for students.

  • You can do this online, by email hudlets@hud.ac.uk or by telephone 01484 473435.

  • Where possible all viewings are conducted within office hours, however out of hour viewings can be organised if the applicants are out on placement. It is essential that all applicants view the property prior to the application being made to ensure that everyone is happy with the property, its’ location and its facilities.

  • Yes. The amount required as a deposit is dependent on which property you choose as landlords charges vary.  Hudlets require that you pay your deposit one month before the tenancy start date. This allows us to process the deposit with the DPS (Deposit Protection Scheme) prior to you moving into the property. You will receive a certificate to show that the deposit has been protected along with a booklet showing all the Prescribed Information.

  • Our landlords require that you supply a guarantor that resides within the UK, is in full time employment and receive earning at least three times the annual rent of the tenant’s obligations in regards to rent. Your guarantor will have to complete a Deed of Guarantor and supply proof of earning, a photo id and proof of address.


  • Yes, depending on the length of the tenancy you sign, you are legally required to pay the rent until the contract ends.

  • Where there is more than one tenant signing an agreement, all tenants are ‘jointly and severally’ liable. This means that each tenant can be held responsible for the agreement and paying of rent and not just a share of it. Be sure about the people that you agree to share with as if they fail to pay the rent, you can also be held liable. The tenants are jointly and severally responsible for the property as a whole – and for the deposit as a whole. If damage is caused by one tenant but exceeds the amount of his or her deposit, deductions can be made from his or her housemates’ deposits – if the damage exceeds the entire deposit, ALL tenants will be responsible for the additional monies due.

  • The Landlord will manage the property for ‘Tenant-Find’ lets.

  • This will be dependent on the property you rent and what is included within the rent. You will need to check your contract as to who is responsible for paying what.

  • Some HudLets properties have contents insurance included at no cost to you, however you should check if its included before you move in.

    If it’s not included you will need to get your own contents insurance.

  • HudLets have partnered with Endsleigh, the No.1 student insurance provider.

    It is important all students confirm their cover to ensure you understand what is and isn’t covered. Plus you’ll also be entered into a prize draw, courtesy of Endsleigh!

    Visit confirm your cover to see:

    • What is and what isn’t covered
    • Policy excess – the amount you pay when you make a claim
    • How to make a claim
    • Personalise cover

    We understand students have a limited budget so Endsleigh have launched brand new, unique student insurance options. They have been designed to cover the risks that you may encounter whilst living in student accommodation and away from home.

  • Many Insurance policies have a time limit on how long you can leave your accommodation without returning. Many insurers have extended or waived this time limit while the country is in lockdown, however if you have an existing insurance policy you should check with your provider to make sure you are still covered.


    If you have insurance included in your contract with HudLets – Endsleigh have updated the policy to remove time limits and provide extra cover for travelling home, putting your belongings in storage and living in temporary accommodation. Details of these changes can be found here.

  • No if you are a student you are exempt from council tax. A person counts as a student if they are:-
    • undertaking a full-time course of education and studying for at least 24 weeks (21 hours per week),

    • under 20 and on a qualifying course, or
    • a foreign language assistant
    • Someone who is taking a course which leads to a registration under the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act   1979.

  • No the process is the same for booking a property whatever nationality you are.

  • You will be required to complete an application form for all members of your group. This includes details of your guarantor and documentation to comply with the right to rent checks. as follows:-

    a) Passport or

    b) Driving licence and a proof of study letter

    c) Visa if applicable

  • Once we have received your completed application, we will write your tenancy and email it to you for you to read. This gives you the opportunity to have a third party look at the tenancy if required. We require all documentation to be signed and returned within 7 days. Along with the advance rent payment.

  • Hudlets will make contact with you to arrange a suitable time for you to move into your chosen property. You will be issued with an information pack containing the following items:

    • Energy Performance Certificate for the property
    • Gas Safety Certificate
    • Electrical Safety Certificate
    • Electrical Pat Testing Certificates
    • Deposit protection Certificate
    • Deposit Protection Prescribed Information.
    • Set of Keys for each student
  • We ask that all students think about their finances before signing a tenancy agreement. Once you have signed the agreement you are required to be able to pay the rent. However contact HudLets and we will try to organise a revised payment plan with your landlord.

  • Contact the HudLets office and we will speak with the landlord on your behalf.

  • Firstly speak with your landlord but if you find he is not listening contact HudLets.

  • Your contract is a fixed term contract and you as tenant are obliged to fulfil the terms and conditions. Landlords will not usually allow a tenant to terminate their tenancy early without paying the full rent for the contract duration. However in some cases a tenant may be able to move out of the property if they find a suitable replacement to take over the contract and the necessary paperwork is completed. If you share a house with a group you must make sure that your replacement is acceptable to the rest of the tenants.

  • Firstly seek advice from the HudLets office. The deposit will be secured within one of the three governments recognised deposit protection schemes which all have a disputes procedure. This is explained within the prescribed information that you should have received when you deposit is registered.

  • If you have a complaint about any landlord, property or the HudLets service this should be done in writing and addressed to the manager at Hudlets. You can email your complaint to a.wright@hud.ac.uk If you are not happy with the way your complaint is handled you can email the president of the students’ union at su.president@hud.ac.uk.



All my dealings with HudLets have been both helpful and supportive. Andy and Charlotte are extremely encouraging at all times. Many thanks for your continuing excellent service.

- Pat Lawler, landlord


HudLets has always been an efficient and supportive agency in liaising between students and me as a landlord. Friendly and competent, they know their houses and tenants and try to ensure smooth tenancies for the benefit of all. Excellent.

- Sian Howell-Jones, landlord


The friendly and efficient staff at HudLets serve both the students and the landlord well. For the landlord they organise a fair rent and for the students they check that the property is both safe and suitable. This results in peace of mind for all concerned.

- Deryn Wood, Landlord


HudLets has taken the hassle of tenant find, vetting, drafting contracts and lodging bond payments from us so that we can concentrate on providing a good clean student friendly property for our tenants.

- Andy and Christine Flint, Landlord


Into our second year with HudLets as letting agents, and we continue to be impressed with their service, in particular their experience and communication skills with university student tenants.

- Paul Barrett, Landlord


I would highly recommend HudLets to both students and landlords. The service provided is professional, efficient and extremely fair.

- Sandy Young, Landlord